Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Calendar Reflection

Oy vey, six hours of homework per week seemed overwhelming. Then, I planned out my week, and realized that if I use my time wisely, I should be fine this semester.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings will be dedicated to doing English homework because I don't start class until noon those days. Knowing that I work better in the morning, I can do most of my thinking early. Then I can do my less difficult work in the afternoons.

If I stick to this plan, I should easily be able to manage my workload with a minimum amount of stress. It looks so nice on paper, but I'll see how well it actually works as the semester progresses.

After reading Dylan's post, I realized that I need to be going to the rec way more than I am.
There are so many new responsibilities that come with living away for home for the first time. Learning to balance them all is essential. And waiting for laundry to finish is the best time to do homework, because you have to stay close to the laundry room.

Savannah made me feel like a slacker because she's involved in so much this semester, but I agree with her that being busy helps me not procrastinate. If I'm already up and running, I might as well be doing something productive.

3 comments:

  1. The initial thought of six hours of homework a week times five courses seemed daunting to me as well. However, I agree that once it was all down on my calendar, it seemed much more doable. My schedule differs slightly from yours because I will do the majority of my homework in the afternoons/evenings. I find that I am sometimes groggy in the morning and unable to work at my normal pace. Because of this, I will begin homework after my last class of the day. I agree that if we stick to the plan, we should be fine this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad I inspired you to go the gym more, its like a force of habit for me now, after four years of it for high school football, if I don't go to the gym I can't sleep. Also the laundry room is a great place to do homework (guess where I am now!!) and you feel good because you are knocking two birds out with one stone, I think you're point of actually staying on top of things and not letting yourself slip behind is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought six hours was a lot for one class as well. In planning how I treat classes, I just think of this one as two classes since it counts as both English 101 and English 102. Then it doesn't seem that bad to allocate 6 hours a week for this course. I also work better in the mornings. I went the other way though; I planned my hard courses in the morning when I'm sharpest so I can actually learn something instead of wishing I was somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete