Monday, September 21, 2015

Identifying Basic Grammar Patterns

For this blog post, I took one of the longest paragraphs in my QRG, and analyzed its basic grammar.

Here is the link to the Google doc where I did my grammar analysis.

Image by Lott, Chris. "Laugh Out Loud Cats #331". Uploaded 9/5/13 via Flickr.
Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

In my analysis, I learned that analyzing sentence patterns is more difficult than I guessed it would be. To figure out the basic subject and purpose of each sentence, I had to take out all unnecessary or extraneous words to make the sentences as basic as possible. Once they were at a kindergarten writing level, I could then tell what the basic parts of speech were.

In the QRG format, there is very little use for exclamatory, interrogative, or imperative sentences except maybe in the headings. All of the sentences in my main paragraphs are declarative, because I am trying to inform my readers.

I had the most trouble with identifying the items in section 47 (page 381), so I should spend some time reviewing the types of verbs, subjects, and objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment