Monday, November 30, 2015

Revisiting My Writing Process

After reading the first blog posts that I ever wrote for this class, I realized that I have actually changed my writing and time management styles over the past 15 weeks. 

Image by Templeton, Corey. "Looking into the past: Bug Light." Uploaded 5/22/09 via Flickr.
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic license. 

What changed most from August to now was my homework plan. My original plan was to get homework done on M/W/F mornings before my noon class, but I ended up doing most, if not all, of my homework after I was done with classes for the day. 

Like most college students, I was nowhere near awake enough to get homework done in the morning. Once I was already up and running after going to classes, it was easier to keep momentum and get my homework done. 

I'm proud of myself though, because I managed not to procrastinate much this semester. Having the deadlines broken up into steps made it much easier to stay on top of my workload and not get too overwhelmed. 

Once I had the deadline broken up for each week, I could then fill in time to do my other homework. Structuring my schedule around English homework made it easy to find time for all of my other class work. 

My writing style has stayed mostly the same. I used to consider myself sort of a Heavy Planner, but I found that it's easier than I thought to just sit down and start typing without doing much planning/thinking beforehand.  

This, of course, requires a lot of editing, but I already was a Heavy Revisor, so it hasn't been terribly difficult to change my habits. 

Now that I know what a college workload is like, I think it will be easier in coming semesters to keep on track with homework. The first semester is always the hardest with being away from home for the first time and having to be a real adult. Now I mostly know how to deal with all of that which will also make life easier. 

Even though I am still not completely sure what I want to major in, and even less sure about what I want to do as a career, I know that the habits I am forming now will affect my future success. Knowing how to manage my time and finish projects by or even before a deadline is essential. 

I think the format of this class made my entire first semester easier. Even though it was a demanding class as far as how much we had to do and what was expected of us, it taught me a lot about using my time wisely. 

I feel like I am a better writer and editor than I was before this class, and I learned a lot about how important it is to use genres correctly. I think that the quality of writing that I am producing now after this semester is much better than in high school, which is a really good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment